Child Development, C.A.S.
TOTAL DEGREE CREDITS:
CERTIFICATE OF APPLIED SCIENCE IN CHILD DEVELOPMENT
The Child Development programs have been designed using a career ladder approach. The associate degree
content builds upon the content completed at the certificate level. Those completing the associate degree
may add the remaining four semesters of coursework to complete the bachelor’s degree.
The Child Development Certificate is an initial entry and exit point for students interested in a career in
child development. In order to be considered for Admission to, and Retention, in the Child Development
Certificate program, student must complete all program (CDEV and EDUC) coursework with a grade of C
• Monitor program progress through My Degree to remain on graduation pathway.
• Student must maintain a minimum 2.0 grade point average
• Student must complete all program (CDEV and EDUC) coursework with a grade of C or better.
• A file for each Child Development student will be maintained in the Education Office with all required
documentation. When items are missing or need to be updated, the student must submit them by a date
designated in a letter to the student in accordance with the Admission Policy. Failure to maintain a
complete file at any time after admission will result in removal from Admitted status.
• Students must uphold the NAEYC Code of Ethical Conduct. Failure to adhere to the code may result in
dismissal from the program.
To access code use the following link: www.naeyc.org/files/naeyc/image/public_policy/
• Complete at least 8 credit hours at WVU Parkersburg.
• Complete application for graduation and file application in OLSIS prior to stated deadline
General Education Courses
To ensure breadth and depth as students meet these broad education goals, the curriculum focuses on six academic “strands.”
* * Serves technical and professional degree programs specific to WVU Parkersburg. Does not transfer to WVU as General Education (March 2018).
BUSINESS ELECTIVES: Business electives may be chosen from courses with the following prefixes: ACCT, BTEC, ECON, ENT, FIN, GBUS, MGMT, MKTG, or STEM 420. For assistance in choosing electives please see your adacemic advisor. Lower division business elective may include CMS 117, 217, 220, or 230. For the MKTG upper division electives you may chhose from CMS 371, 360, 410, 425, 439.