Criminal Justice, A.A.S.
TOTAL DEGREE CREDITS:
For back of this Academic Map please see General Education Map
The Associate in Applied Science Degree in Criminal Justice is embedded in the Bachelor of Applied Science (BAS) Criminal Justice degree. This degree program studies society’s formal control systems, the administration of justice and the criminal investigation process. It covers various aspects of crime prevention, law enforcement and policing functions, criminal law and the courts, the corrections system and root causes of crime.
Any course with CJ prefix that is not required, ACCT 360, HIST 360, LS 101, LS 210, LS 220, LS 313, POLS 225, PSYC 231, PSYC 281, PSYC 362, PSYC 363, PSYC 365, SEC 300, SEC 431, SOC 107, SOC 223, SOC 233, SOC 235, SOC 302, SOC 360, SOC 362, SOC 405
It is a program designed to provide students with a basic understanding of the criminal justice system and
the basic skills needed to further pursue education and work in policing, corrections, and related fields.
• Monitor program progress through My Degree to remain on graduation pathway.
• Complete 60 credit hours of required courses.
• Maintain minimum grade point average of 2.0 or higher in all courses.
• Complete at least 15 credit hours at WVU Parkersburg.
• Complete proctored Major Fields Test in capstone course CJ 291.
• Complete application for graduation and file application in OLSIS prior to stated deadline.
General Education Courses
To ensure breadth and depth as students meet these broad education goals, the curriculum focuses on six academic “strands.”
* * Serves technical and professional degree programs specific to WVU Parkersburg. Does not transfer to WVU as General Education (March 2018).
BUSINESS ELECTIVES: Business electives may be chosen from courses with the following prefixes: ACCT, BTEC, ECON, ENT, FIN, GBUS, MGMT, MKTG, or STEM 420. For assistance in choosing electives please see your adacemic advisor. Lower division business elective may include CMS 117, 217, 220, or 230. For the MKTG upper division electives you may chhose from CMS 371, 360, 410, 425, 439.